Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Narceus americana


We recently hiked Strickler Knob near Luray, VA.  This hike is similar to Old Rag in the rock scrambling, but a little less strenuous, especially if you use the Scothorn Gap trailhead, and much less crowded.  The 360 degree views at the top are spectacular, but sometimes nature provides intricate beauty on a much smaller scale as witnessed by this North American millipede (Narceus americana).  While I love my work and enjoy Dusty greeting me with exuberance when I arrive home, I also look forward to encountering animal life in more unexpected ways in the middle of the woods, in the back yard, or on the water.  What a gift that we are able to experience  the complexity of nature on so many levels-our senses, intellect, and emotions. And to have the ability to contemplate and share this awareness with others!  One of many reasons for belief in a God who wants us to experience the goodness of His creation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment