Friday, December 24, 2010

Uncomplicated

The human-animal bond is truly a gift. One of the things that makes that relationship so special is how uncomplicated it is. When I come home, my dog is happy to see me. He doesn't remember that I didn't pay attention to him yesterday or that he didn't get that extra treat he wanted. When we play tug of war, he just wants to tug. No gloating at winning, no sadness at losing. He enjoys his food even though it is a nondescript nugget. He chases deer without thinking ahead to what he would do if he caught one. I can make his tail wag by just looking at him. A belly rub is as good as it gets. No complaints about not being able to sleep on the bed. No angst, no regrets, no worries about tomorrow.

I do wonder, however, what is behind that look of consternation as our new kitten eats from his food bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment